It is our aim to promote and ensure the welfare and safety of children when using the internet.
When children enrol at Richmond School parents/caregivers are asked if they are willing to sign three forms:
- Student Computer and Internet User Agreement.
- On-line (internet website) publication of student images, work and names permission form.
- IPad User Agreement.
Please see our Internet Safety Policy for more details.
RICHMOND SCHOOL POLICY STATEMENT - Internet Safety
To promote and ensure the welfare and safety of children when using the internet.
To provide internet access, so all staff and students can:
- Become effective and safe users of the Internet.
- Extend their awareness and knowledge of the Internet.
- Become motivated, responsible, independent users of the Internet.
GENERAL POLICY ON INTERNET USE AT SCHOOL:
Use of the internet facilities at this school is strictly for educational purposes. This includes personal use and use for professional development of staff.
STAFF USE OF THE INTERNET:
- Training for staff members who wish to use these facilities will be planned for and is essential for the safety and protection of staff, students and equipment.
- Students will need to be directed to sites on the Net, rather than surfing, which is why staff members must gain experience using the internet before letting their students use it.
- All staff members must sign a copy of this School Internet Policy or a Staff Internet Use Agreement before using the Internet themselves, indicating they are aware of the details of this Policy. This documentation will be kept on file by the school.
- Staff can have individual internet e-mail accounts.
- Relieving teachers should be made aware of the school's Internet Guidelines.
STUDENT USE OF THE INTERNET:
- All students must sign the School Computer and Internet Use Agreement AND have the signed permission of a parent/caregiver before using the internet at school. These documents must be kept on file at the School Office.
- Class teachers control access to the internet through classroom computers.
- Access to the internet through ICT devices in the library is controlled by the class teacher or the Teacher Librarian.
- The school will continue to refine methods of improving safety on the internet.
- Random checks of each ICT devices internet 'history' and 'cache' will be carried out from time to time by the network administrator to ensure inappropriate sites are not being visited.
- The use of the internet is filtered by N4L (The Ministry of Education’s Network for Learning).
Safe use of modern Information and Communications Technologies is an important aspect of learning for the children at our school. As well as learning how to effectively use this equipment for educational and personal purposes, we want all students to become aware of the risks and keep themselves and others safe.
Amanda Howard - Board Chairperson
Date of Review: 2nd July 2015